Sunday, January 24, 2010

Is it March yet?


Just got a little nostalgic yesterday after practice. It was completely unrelated, but I was thinking back on some stored-away basketball memories. It was the 2006 NCAA Tournament. Sweet 16 matchup of #6 WVU and #2 Texas in Atlanta. WVU was down by 12 at the half, but rallied to make it close by the end of the game. Mike Gansey hit a three with fifteen seconds left to cut the Texas lead to two, and Kevin Pittsnogle hit another three (I remember that Mountaineers team was a great three-point shooting team) with five seconds left after coming back in the game (he was out to take care of a bloody nose). But some dude on Texas hit a buzzer-beating three pointer to give Texas a ride into the Elite Eight. 74-71, Texas. I read an article sometime after that game about the amazing WVU senior class, and I saw that picture, and I remember crying a little, too. (2006 was a great tournament. I didn't cry for Adam Morrison, but I think that if I was in his position, I would have done the exact same thing.)

I love March Madness. Every game is electric, every game is charged and fraught with emotion, and thinking about it gives me goosebumps.

Gahhh is it Pres Day yet?

No comments: