Monday, August 30, 2010

I Flipped Out (Bad Pun Intended)

Sorry guys, I know this isn't ultimate-related, but it's also not life-related so it's a bigger stretch for me to post it to my other blog.

Anyway, I just wanted to share a cool sequence of photos I found on IllinoisLoyalty. You all know that I love lawls/oh mylanta-type photos, and Cary Frye took a pretty sick photo of Megan Pawloski, a freshman forward for the Illini, doing a flip throw in during this weekend's Orange and Blue win (3-0 game to make them 3-0 on the season so far) over Ball State. Great sequence. I kinda wish he had also gotten the actual throw, but sick series of photos nonetheless.




Cary also got a lawls photo of Julie "Juice" Ewing, one of my favorite players solely because of her player introduction video on the Fighting Illini website (unforch it has been taken down but trust me it was hilarious ... awaiting the new player videos). Finish her!


Pretty good start for the Illini this year. Last season was a bit of a downer, but the program seems to be on the upswing. Rayfield lost a great group of seniors, but also has a great recruiting class coming in, a class that includes Vanessa DiBernardo, who already has three goals in as many games. Big Ten Freshman of the Week what up.

One of the things I miss the most about college is college sports. When I was actually in college, I was so busy that I never really thought about how lucky I was that I was so close to all this great college sports action. (I mean hey, even if the Illini suck at some things, the games are still fun, right?) The spring is almost always shot to shit for me, with ultimate taking full priority. Tournaments and practices and whatnot don't really allow you to see all that many games, and kudos to you if you can make it work and actually make it out to a lot of games. During the fall I was either not at school at all (study abroad junior year), or I was super busy with club ultimate, marathon, and LSAT stuff (sophomore and senior years). I'm pretty sure there were maybe one or two weekends TOTAL that I was actually in Champaign during the fall of my senior year. Weak. It's pretty sad that I saw more Illini games during my freshman year than I saw all of my last two years combined. Ah well. Here's to making up for lost time, I suppose. Looking at the more recent tweets on my twitter timeline, you'd think I was an Illini sports commentator or something.

Anyway, I have a lot of thoughts about college sports and how it all fits into my life and all of that, but I need to organize my thoughts first. In the meantime, let me leave you with another badass photo that Cary Frye took this past weekend (Laura DeBruler getting one of her 51 kills at the Illini Classic, which the Illini won for the fifth year in a row. DeBaller and Jo Bangert made the All-Tournament team, and Hillary Haen was named MVP of the tournament, as well as the Big Ten Defensive Player of the Week):

No comments: