Secondly, Texas is SERIOUS about their Cutie. I'm just saying. I checked when I got home from Sectionals Sunday night and Chump had about 6 votes or so, respectable. And then I checked Monday morning and she had over 50. Right now she has almost 90 and there are still days left to vote. Watch out, other Cuties! There's still a whole work-week left to vote though, just saying.
Third, Demetri McCamey needs to quit playin', in the figurative sense! Stay for another year, cause we're gonna be good next year. Holler.
Fourth, it is GORGEOUS in Champaign-Urbana today. I almost don't want to be indoors working on my wretched poster for my presentation tomorrow. It's a damn shame. I almost played hooky today, inspired by one Sarah Skippinwinkel. I wanted to skip my Holocaust discussion soooooo bad, but I knew Dave Bates in all his angry, dreamy glory would be there, and so I couldn't miss. His angry blue eyes pierced my soul this afternoon when I walked in late. *swoon* Also, in the class I have right after my discussion, we had Phil Yu (the creator of angryasianman.com) come in as a guest speaker. If you Google image search him, he looks kinda funny in all the results, but I swear he was suuuuuper cute in person. Ooh mylanta. (Giving my parents a shred of hope that one day my children will be wholesies?) I still should have skipped both those classes though. Then I'd be done with my poster instead of sitting in the basement of the English building working on this gorgeous iMac. le sigh.
Finally, what kind of a Wendy's doesn't have spicy chicken nuggets? Unforgivable.
My head is in a bit of a fog from the weekend, so forgive me for not putting up complete recaps. Just thoughts. Here I go.
1. So much for a no turn weekend. I think the first time I picked up the disc I turned it. I was attempting an outside in backhand around the cup, out of bounds, and back inbounds to Matthews, but I guess I don't have that throw. Yikes. My b. Welp, that's still my goal though, to go an entire weekend without turns. How about I just try for an entire weekend where I don't get my wenis cleated or I don't get clocked in the face? I have now regained the feeling of pressure in my arm (not quite feeling yet, but I'm optimistic that a week off will help).
2. I have decided that Caroline Doty and I might be the same person playing different sports. I really need to grow up, mentally.
3. That trainer really liked me. Legit. She was all, "Oh, please roll up your shirt sleeves so I can take a look at your elbow." HA. As if she only wanted to "look at [my] elbow." Please. As the wind blew, the outline of my righteous pipes was clearly pressing against the sleeves of my jersey and she was all intrigued, like "Ooh I wonder what treasure lies beneath? 'Sploresville!" I see right through those thinly veiled ploys to holler at a baller. Risa may believe that she "warmed her up" for me, but my game can't really be helped. So there's that.
4. Valpo: This game was frustrating. When you just know you can win a game and it's the little things that kill you? I HATE that. It was always a stupid turn. ALWAYS. There were so many times when we worked it upfield against their zone. So many times. And then we'd give up all our work by forcing the disc upfield when we didn't have an open player. Or we'd send a swing way too high over a handler's head or straight into the ground. We also didn't do a very good job of continuing for swings across the field. We'd have a second or two without a mark, but no cutter would be there. It was frustrating. Then there was that one point where they scored on a bunch of blades upfield, all because our girls were trailing and NO ONE was behind their girl. This was also the game where I got clocked in the face, open-palm though. I don't know if the open-palm was worse or if a punch would have been worse. Anyway, lost this one and I don't remember the score, nor do I care enough to look it up. Sorry 'bout it. OH and I think it was during this game that I threw a high release and turned around and gave Kelly "High Release" Foster a smile. Ha, smug as hell. (Okay I felt bad about not including the scores, so I looked them up. We lost to Valpo 7-4.)
5. UChicago (Saturday): We started this game off pretty close. We were trading points with them to start off the game, and I felt like we were playing pretty good man defense. We would play great D for the first six or seven seconds of the stall count, and then let up. Their handlers would be looking for a long time, seemingly frustrated, and then right in the last two seconds of the stall count, a cutter would get open because we let them beat us to the open side in the waning seconds of the stall count. For whatever reason, we just can't play good defense for ten solid seconds. This was definitely a messy game for us, offensively. We just looked terrible with the disc. We had the disc for long periods of time, but we weren't efficient. We had a lot of trouble scoring and the cutting was ugly. We switched it up on D a bit, too. We forced them backhand to stop their big forehand bombs, and we also tried throwing a clam, which worked for a little bit. In the end though, our lack of offense really hurt us and we dropped this too. Again, don't care enough to look up the score, but I think it was close. (dropped this one 4-6)
6. Loyola: This was our last game of the day and we really needed this win, otherwise we would have found ourselves in a pretty sticky situation. At this point in the day, my memory becomes very hazy, clocked or not, and I think that's sad, since this is the one game we did win. Merp. I remember something Loyola did well, though. They infinite stacked the shit out of their stack! That's literally about all I can remember. Merp. Welp. (7-5)
7. Notre Dame: Going into this game, I was pretty intrigued about Notre Dame. They have had some big wins over the season, but also some head-scratching losses (I'll keep these to myself). They've said that they think this is their year for Nationals, so I was excited to match up against a team of that caliber. From the get-go, the game felt charged. I think they scored first to open up the game, but we came right back and put one up on the board. This game was definitely a little bit more physical, a little more testy. We started the game off trading points. The last thing I really remember about the game is coming off after I got tripped up and banged my head after I tried so hard to avoid it. Blurgh. When it became clear that we weren't being efficient, we "called" the game. Because we needed to win the next game to have a shot at Regies, we started to open up the lines. I think that before that though, we had been doing a really good job of keeping on pace with Notre Dame. We just need to put scores away quicker and more efficiently. (3-13)
8. UIC: This was a must-win game. If we didn't win this game, Regionals was basically out of the picture. We came out with the goal of playing efficient offense, something we really really struggle with. Cathy promised us that if we could get 7 no-turn points, she'd buy us all ice cream. And at first we were doing AWESOME with that. We scored something like three or four no-turn points in a row. We were playing good D. We took it to half pretty quickly, but then we fell apart. We were playing really sloppy and getting beat to the open side on defense a lot. UIC scored something like three in a row in that second half, it was ridiculous. We got really close to that goal of 7 no-turn points, but we were stopped short at 6. I want to say that we got like 5 in the first half, and only one in the second half. Kind of speaks volumes about how we fell apart there. In any case, we won this one, thankfully. (13-5)
9. Notre Dame B: I think I sat out most of this game, either on the sideline crying or on the sideline sulking. So I'm sad to say that I didn't really get to watch this game at all. Sorry ya'll. (11-5)
10. UChicago (Sunday): This game was decidedly way more relaxed than the the first UChicago game. It became pretty apparent that playing was no longer safe for me when I couldn't remember what had been called during the flip and who had won literally two seconds after the aforementioned flip. YIKES. Welp. But yes, the lines were pretty open this game. Becca balled out this game, getting multiple D's in one point and making a particularly difficult catch with her D literally right on her back. Our rookies and younger players (basically everyone minus Fozz, Margaret, and me) really stepped up. There were multiple points where we just beat their girls to the open side and just worked it upfield. It was great. Emily Sheu was beastin' in cuts, and I think it was this game that Jody sent a reeeeal pretty forehand flick to Bess. Perhaps it was this game? I don't remember, but it was nice. (5-12)
And that's that. Took the 7th spot out of our section to Regionals. Joyous!
This happened during the Notre Dame B game, but it needs a point all its own, so people know that it's important that they pay attention to this: Sarah "Five Foot Ten" Rosenwinkel got skied by someone LEGITLY a foot shorter than her. I'm not even kidding. Emburrassing! I believe that prior to that point, she actually shouted, "Put me in, Coach! I know I'm bad, but put me in! I won't let you down, Coach!"
YIKES.
My Thoughts:
- I'm very surprised that North Park didn't make Regionals. I want to know what happened in their games. When we played them at Midwest, I remember them being a pretty good team, pretty athletic and pretty fast. They also had one girl that really stood out ... Kira? Kyra? Something of that nature? Well she was good. Anyway, I'm surprised that they didn't make it.
- UChicago has got some cannons on that team! They do a great job of continuing for swings and going deep for upline swings. Even if their girls weren't catching, their handlers just kept on bombing 'em. Ridiculous forehand flicks on that team, 4srs.
- Is this what having migraines is like? Because it sucks. I feel for all ya'll who get frequent migraines right now, and it doesn't even hurt that bad anymore.
- Nora made a very good point of this on Sunday, but I want to reiterate: Our open lines were playing against the other team's top lines and playing well. Other teams weren't holding anything back, and our girls were holding their own. So proud of ya'll.
- Finally, I will have lefty throws by Regionals. Don't worry about it.
HA in case you all are wondering, I hit my head again on a post that I locked my bicycle to just now IDIOT.
Welp. That's about all I can remember about Sectionals. It was definitely frustrating at times but we fought hard for that spot to Regionals. We've got a lot to work on. A lot.
Three weeks of work, baby. I can NOT wait for my senior drinks.
Yes, Cathy. Drinks.

1 comment:
"Put me in, Coach! I know I'm bad, but put me in! I won't let you down, Coach!"
Quote of the YEAR
Post a Comment