Monday, December 15, 2008

"Everything You Need is Already Inside"

First of all, Capers > pandas. I've seen pandas in person in their native land, and all they do is eat, poop, sleep, and NOT GO DOWN SLIDES HEADFIRST, EVEN THOUGH AMERICAN TOURISTS STAND OUTSIDE THEIR GLASS CAGES FOR 45 MINUTES WAITING FOR ONE G-D SLIDE.

Secondly, Asian ultimate on RSD! The video that's linked is actually pretty dope; it's Shanghai Hu Wa in blue (the team I've been playing with) and the Philippines in white at the Shanghai '08 Tournament final. The Filipino Ultimate scene is RIDICULOUS. I got the chance to play against a team that was made up of Filipino players, not even everyone on Team Philippines, and they were still just straight prison. Anyway, if you're interested, here's the link to the video (disregard the music, and it's okay if you can't read Chinese, just click play).

Now, on to the title of this post. 

A few friends and I had a conversation recently about marathons, and what motivates people throughout them. For one guy, Nick, it was the challenge. Nick was a high school and college cross country runner, and he wanted to know if he could push and will his body to run at an elite level. For another woman, who is planning on running a marathon soon, it is the challenge of getting in shape in time. She has never been an athlete in her entire life -- she doesn't even like watching sports, let alone participating in them. But she wants to know if she can do it. It got me thinking -- what puts gas in people's tanks? Fire in their stoves? Wind underneath their wings?

Matthias Steiner was motivated by the memory of his wife, Susann, Liu Xiang was motivated by his people and his homeland, and Dara Torres was motivated by her ageless love and the chance to defy the odds ... what is it? What is it that pushes a person beyond the realm of the real into the realm of legend, of impossibility, of downright balleringness? Is it something inherent, something that can't be taught? Is it the result of earlier life trauma, hardship, or epic fail? Some call it "Kill Mode", some call it the x-factor, some call it heart. Who the hell knows what it is? All I know is that it pushes people to do some pretty amazing things.

I am driven by a score, 15-12, that won't be soon forgotten. I am driven by my heroes, and the things they've taught me, both measurable and immeasurable. Perhaps lamest of all, I am driven by a heart that doesn't quit (and knees that don't buckle in ... points for the reference) and a lion-hearted sense of pride.

Of course, I'm motivated by external things, too. Within maybe five minutes of meeting me, you'll come to realize that music is a huge part of my life. My headphones are a part of me. When I slip them on just before a game or on the drive from the hotel to the fields, it gets the blood flowing, it gets me game-ready, it puts me in the right mindset to play a whole day of ultimate. 

A tiny peek into part of my game-day playlist:
"Love in this Club" Usher: OF COURSE this would be on there, not so much because it's a "pump up song", but just because I can't seem to go a day without listening to it.
"Stomp (Ratatat remix)" Young Buck, T.I., Ludacris
"What You Know" T.I.
"Bring Da Ruckus" Wu Tang Clan
"Harder Better Faster Stronger" Daft Punk / "Stronger" Kanye West: I feel like you can't have one without the other.
"Go Go Gadget Flow" Lupe Fiasco
"I Wonder" Kanye West
"Never Let Me Down" Kanye West: One of my favorite songs of all time.
"The Best of You" Foo Fighters
"The Archer's Bows Are Broken" Brand New
"Don't Stop Believin'" Journey: What self-respecting human being DOESN'T love this song?!
"America (Fuck Yeah!)" Team America
"Understanding in a Car Crash" Thursday
and if I have the time
"Your Hand in Mine" Explosions in the Sky

Then there's the visual stimulation. Of course we all love the ultimate women YouTube video, sketched out Queen cover and all, but these are the videos I watch to make sure I'm in the right state of mind come tourney weekend.

This Dwayne Wade (South Chi, "stand up" ... you'll understand the pun soon enough) commercial illustrates pretty much everything I love about D-Wade, and my entire approach not just to athletics, but to life. Low key, D-Wade has the best commercials in the NBA.


I'm not a huge football fan, but this commercial honestly sends chills up my spine. I swearsies, the reach at the end -- speechless. Of course, I love the slogan -- leave nothing. Also, on a geekier note, all the breathing in the video makes me feel like less of a freak, even though none of the athletes featured have asthma.
 

Finally, one of my favorite commercials of all time (in good company with all them Gatorade commercials, including the "Thank You Mia" commercial which makes me cry), the Nike Courage commercial. All you have to do is watch to see why.
 

If that didn't move you, I think you're going to need to check for a pulse. Got damn. I love everything about that commercial. (I apologize to all those I'm offending with this following statement) I hate the Lakers, but good GOD -- Pau Gasol's effin' face/death stare. Lance Armstrong in his hospital bed and then Lance in the Tour de France. And you gotta love the two MJs at the end of the video. Michael and his father, holding the trophy. I used to have that newspaper clipping hanging from my bedroom wall. And Michael Johnson ... as far as I'm concerned, Usain who? Liu Xiang, winning gold for the motherland. 

I love how runner heavy it is, mostly because I think running is the purest sport there is. Man against his own body and mind -- how fuckin' epic is that? Pre (of course), Hasely Crawford, Paula Radcliffe. They had 1984's heartbreak kids (plus that Joan lady, who wasn't actually a heartbreak kid since she won, but she was also 1984), Henry Marsh and Mary Decker. It's hard to pick favorites with a balls-to-the-wall amazing video like this, but I'd have to say my two favorite clips were of Julie Moss and Derek Redmond. Derek Redmond is a British runner who tore his hamstring during the 400 meter semifinal (maybe? well, either semis or final) in the 1992 Olympics. His dad came onto the track and helped him finish the lap. Julie Moss is a triathlete who almost won the 1982 Ironman -- as an amateur. In the last few minutes of the race, she would fall and get up again multiple times before finally just crawling past the finish line. She got passed in the last few seconds, but her entire ordeal was caught on camera, and I find it hard to watch so I won't post it, but that image is absolutely incredible. I feel kinda bad for the woman who won (see, I don't even know her name), because I'm sure all anybody remembers about that year is Julie Moss.

Anyway, that's what gets me going as I'm lacing up the cleats. I'm always looking for snappin' new tunes to jam to though, and I need suggestions. I'd appreciate 'em, and include links, plzkthnx. So what pumps you up?



p.s. If you have the time and are an Ironman fan, watch this video. I didn't post it because it's kind of long and not all that interesting for people not that into sappy stories or the Ironman, but Jon Blais is one of my heroes, and this is a great video about him. 
p.p.s. Inspirational quotes? I live by them. The title of this post is all Bill Bowerman, by the by. Gotta give credit where credit is due.

3 comments:

McLain said...

sommers and i are moved to tears by this ironman story about team hoyt (it's long but worth it): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aTgBjhBy-k

j said...

i swear to god, i haven't cried that hard in months.

the fact that "hero" by mariah carey was also played in the background definitely contributed to this.

tania.reitz said...

i tried watching to nike commercial to pump me up for some studying...but instead i just watched the video like 20 times. ooops.