[Sorry it took me so long to post this. I actually finished with this post on Saturday afternoon, but the craziness that ensued in the following 48 hours led to this -- me typing this from a resort in Myrtle Beach. Don't ask me how this happened, but I'm thankful for it all. Needless to say, I am on the lookout for river otters. Where do I sign up for this job? Anyway, ya'll Cutie fans will probably be excited because for the first time ever, I have Cuties up not like six months after the fact. Whoa, self.]
If you don't understand the title of this post, it's probably because you never had the PRIVILEGE of stepping foot into the classiest, cleanest, least douchiest bar of all time, Station 211, better known to the residents of 58 E. Armory "Red Roof Inn" and the buildings in its immediate radius as "Staysh". On any given night, dudes who toss the pigskin in the parking lot with their shirts off and jankettes who play KanJam DIRECTLY IN FRONT of the entrance to the aforementioned parking lot can be heard shouting an open invitation to all, "WE'RE GOIN' TO STAYSH!" This means it's time to butter up those situation abs, get ready to fist pump, get ready to ingest some roofies, and get ready to vomit and/or get bro-lested on that dancefloor.
I miss Champaign already.
[Fun fact: I have once been so drunk upon entering Station that I gave the dude at the door my I-Card as opposed to my drivers license. He almost let me in. Almost.]
I can't believe it's already been over a week since I arrived in Madison. Ooowee time moves by quickly. That said, Nationals 2010 is in the books and I've got a mean base tan to show for it, as well as a hilarious knee-pit tan line. These are just a couple of my thoughts and observations from the weekend.
First off, to echo what a lot of other people have said, the tournament was really well-run. Tents and benches for every sideline? I'm sure those were much appreciated by the players, and I know I would have loved to have had those last year. I can't speak for things like spectator/player lines or observers or anything like that because I wasn't playing, but as a spectator, there were a lot of things that I appreciated about the tournament. The cold water coolers in bountiful supply was DEFINITELY appreciated. I also loved being able to follow the action on my phone; whoever was tweeting was doing a great job of it. I also appreciated the field layout. I felt that no matter what field area I was walking to, there was always a game going on around me. I don't know, every game always just felt like a short walk away. For whatever reason, I didn't feel that way last year, but maybe that's because we played so many games over on the remote fields, far away from the main fields. In any case, I was satisfied as a spectator, and it seems like a lot of the players/observers were happy about everything too.
I didn't see a whole lot of open games, but one of the funniest things I heard all weekend occurred during the UCSD/Texas State game. I don't really know what the score was because I was just milling around on the sideline of the Illinois/Kansas game; read: I was anxious for the women's quarters matchups to start! In any case, I'm going to guess that Texas State was ahead and probably on game point or something, because some Texas State guy started shouting to "blow your load all over these nerds!", or something to that effect. Let me just say ... disgusting, completely unnecessarily, and inappropriately hilarious. The reason why it was hilarious? I feel like UCSD actually won that game. YIKES.
I totally missed my chance to play against some of the top teams in the country this season (that 15-1 drubbing we got from Wisconsin at No Wisco doesn't count ... but in any case, we were supposed to play Cal at Pres Day but had to forfeit due to our flight cancellations and I didn't get there in time to play UCSB *sigh*), so I was hoping to get to watch more teams and players play at Nationals. So there were a bunch of good players and good teams that I had intended to watch, but unforch, I either never got around to those games or I was just zoned out during the games. (Sorry ya'll, loud noises and bright sunlight don't mix with the PCS-ed.)
I would have to say that the teams I watched the most of were Wisconsin, UCSB, and Oregon, and I also saw quite a bit of Colorado, UCLA, and Stanford. As such, most of my comments will revolve around these teams/players/games.
[A note: Some of these pictures that are linked are those in the "USA Ultimate" galleries, but most of them are mine. Unforch, the USA Ultimate galleries don't work well for me for whatever reason so I can't look at most of them so I couldn't link to legitimately good photos that aren't out of focus/taken from 6000 ft. away. My b.]
My marquee matchups were not as exciting as I thought they'd be. I called USC/Cal to be an exciting game because I thought USC would upset, and I thought the national championship rematch in Washington/UCSB would be tight, but I'm thinking that my downfall with these games was that I picked my seats too well. We sat right near midfield, right on the spectator line, RIGHT next to a huge contingent of LOUD USC fans. Now, I appreciate loud fans as much as anyone (and I also liked USC's cheers a lot), but I wasn't able to truly appreciate it all because of the aforementioned PCS and the massive headache and ear ringing that it brought on. So I was pretty interested in the first half of the Washington/UCSB game, but then one halftime hit I was starting to fade pretty quickly. Then I was just plain crabby for the entirety of the USC/Cal game.
The game I really enjoyed watching was the Wisconsin/Stanford game that took place right before UCSB/Washington. My original plan was to watch the first half of this game and then walk over to watch the Illinois men take on UNCW. At first it seemed like I'd follow through on that plan. Wisconsin was just putting scores up like no big thang and I started to get a bit restless. But Stanford put their burners on and started battling back to make it a game. Even at the end, when Wisconsin was on game point for what seemed like a million points, Stanford just kept fighting. It was such an exciting game, huge props to Stanford for rallying like champs and Wisconsin for gutting that one out.
As sad as I was that Wisconsin didn't make it to finals (and win like I had predicted them to), UCSB played a hell of a game in semis. What were they down when Bella was on game point, like two points or something like that? And to break back multiple points in a row to win the game ... epic. You have to give it to them for that. And those UCSB seniors playing what, four finals in a row? Unbelievable. They've got one gold and a collection of second-place medals but shit that is NOTHING to hang their heads over. Major props to the Skirts (and holler at my former Shanghai teammate and current Skirtie, Lisa Acierno).
And of course, congratulations to the ladies of Oregon Fugue. If it weren't for the BDFG in me, I'd have picked ya'll to go all the way. As I mentioned in my preview, Oregon is just a really fun team to watch. They are all extremely talented and athletic players who play hard, make plays, and play with a whole lot of spirit. Man, it just looks like they're having fun out there. Their seven on the line and their sideline broke out into song and dance when "Build Me Up Buttercup" came on, and during the final game, no less. Even with how much fun they're having on the field, there was no shortage of intensity and big, athletic plays by Fugue. So many just straight PRISON bids, so many filthy grabs by ground and by air, so many preeeeeetty throws. And dang those girls got BURNERS. There were so many hucks where I thought, "No way ... too much juice in that boost", but then an Oregon girl would run onto it somehow. I don't even know.
Just because we never saw Oregon having to fight their way back from some sort of crazy deficit, backs-against-the-wall type situation this weekend doesn't mean that they don't have fight in 'em. Two Oregon plays I especially liked were hustle plays. Of course, there is Christina Wickman's SICK second chance layout grab for the score during the final game. I thought for sure that UCSB showed that disc what was what, but then out of nowhere Wickman comes flying in for the save and the goal. So ridiculous. Another great play was during the Oregon/Carleton game. Molly Suver layed out for a swing pass just outside the endzone and missed. She popped up immediately and had to sprint to the endzone because the disc was going up to her girl and she got UP and got the D to prevent the quick score. I mean, just straight hustling.
I also loved watching their games because of how quickly they moved the disc. Even though they violated the Four Passes rule during that give-and-go in the finals, I loved their motion. It seems like you almost never see a handler just standing there with the disc, waiting for a cut to materialize. I think that speaks volumes to their cutters, and their ability to get open, as well as to their handlers, who did a spectacular job moving and distributing the disc. Watching Fugue play O is like watching a fine-tuned dance -- it's beautiful and it's fluid, and it's something you can count on being executed exquisitely every time. I would be interested in knowing their offense's efficiency rating on the weekend. In any case, what an incredible season for Fugue, holler holler holler again at them.
Welp, just added another favorite team.
(Not to mention my asthma buddy, Big Tuna, is on this team. I've been thinking ... Asthma All-Star team for something like Poultry Days or Potlatch one day? Yes or yes? Yeah? Great. Works for me. I told Margaret this idea on Saturday night, to which she responded, "Well, you're gonna need a lot of subs." Fair enough.)
While we're congratulating, big ups to the 2010 Callahan winner Shannon O'Malley. I didn't get to see her or Washington play much this year, but others obviously did and voted in kind.
Oh, and Julia Sherwood? The real deal. Sometimes it's hard to pick out the stud on a whole team of 'em, but Julia was noticeable, even without those orange (?) cleats. She played some sick D all weekend and had some big throws. She was very fun to watch.
Kaela Jorgenson was another player I enjoyed watching. She's huge on both sides of the disc. She's intimidating back there as monster in UCSB's zone, and other than the Oregon final, I didn't see a whole lot that went past her without her at least making it difficult (HUGE bid from her in that Wisconsin semi, even BIGGER catch by Sandy Jorgenson ... ridiculous). She's got the break throws, the huge puts, and crazy athleticism. Like I said, even though I was rooting for Wisconsin in that semi game, I couldn't help but admire Jorgenson and her team's lockdown mode during that game. So sick.
[I really wish that I had seen Leila Tunnell play. I've heard a LOT of really great things about her from friends who have played with her, and they honestly have nothing but good things to say, both about her as a player and as a person. I also wish I had gotten to see Cree Howard play more/paid better attention when I was watching her games. I caught the tail end of the UNC/Cal game, so I didn't see much other than that picture I took.]
Carolyn Finney is the picture of clutch. She looks game ready all the time. How often does she ever come out of the game for the Skirts? It feels like never, because you always see her making big plays on both sides of the disc. When she wasn't throwing scores she was catching 'em, and I can't even count how many time I saw her get UP to get those Ds.
And how many times in that final game did we hear "Carolyn Finney from Marie Madaras"? Man that kid is good. Just filthy athletic, great speed, and now she's getting her throw on too. I can only imagine how much scarier she's going to be next year, and the year after that. One unbelievable catch that I can recall right away is that grab she had sandwiched in between two Oregon defenders. Just wow.
I can't really pick out one player on Colorado, but man what a weekend for Kali, huh? In the Stanford/Colorado game that I watched, all of the Colorado girls were playing such sick D. I really wish for the life of me that I could remember who it was, but one girl on Colorado had the most ridiculous layout D on an upline cut. I mean, she SMACKED that disc. Goodness, I really wish that the Colorado games I watched weren't towards the end of the day, cause I feel like then I'd have remembered them better. But sick job, Kali.
Emily Damon is a baller. Flat out. It's what she does. She balls. She was great in that game against Wisconsin. She's got the full toolbox of throws from breaks to hucks, and she had multiple sick Ds. She just played her heart out.
Two UCLA players I've become pretty big fans of are Hawkins and Kodiak. I'm really impressed with how much confidence and composure Kodiak has with the disc, and what's more -- she wants that disc in her hands. In all the UCLA games I watched, she was bustin' it all the time. I never saw her taking a break, with or without the disc in her hands. She was always working hard to get the disc back right after she got rid of it. Hawkins was just plain fun to watch. Not only was she a great cutter for Blu, but I mostly like that she just looks like she's having a blast on the field. In their game against Wisconsin, Blu was down a few but she never looked frazzled, and was very vocal and positive with her teammates. I believe at one point when the Wisconsin band came over, she actually danced her way back to the line after a Bella score. Those kind of players are just fun to watch.
Does Sandy Jorgenson ever not get open? I'm just saying, how many of Wisconsin's scores does she catch? She was just huge for them, not just being tall but being fast, too. Most of the discs I saw her catch were in the endzone, and I feel like I can count on one hand the number of discs she didn't manage to snag in the red zone.
One player I really enjoyed watching was Emelie McKain, not necessarily for her skills on the field (but they should obviously be noted -- sick breaks, sick D, and so much hustle), but because of how much that kid just wants to win. That's all I can say about it. She just wants to win. She steps on the field and she means BUSINESS. Everything about her is intense, and if you stand between her and the win, she'll probably just lay out past you for it.
Fact: Georgia Bosscher puts it WHEREVER she wants it to go. I want to say that I watched something like half of Bella's games this weekend, and no one could stop her throws. No, but seriously. I just feel like about 99% of her throws were exactly on point. I liked watching her cut too -- just getting open under and then turning around and sending a bomb to the endzone. Oh, and she's no slouch on D, either.
One young Bella gunna I enjoyed watching was Al Ellis. Please tell me that Al Ellis is the one they call "Yeti" because that is one of the BEST nicknames I have ever heard in my life. SO good. That kid flat out balls on handles on and D. I mean, to be such a big contributor on that team, not to mention as a freshman. I forget which game I was watching, but she gets a straight nasty layout catch D on an upline cut and she tumbles over and springs up, all while holding the disc, not letting go because the girl she was on wasn't letting go either. Just a competitor, mayne.
Ya'll know I like Bailey Zahniser's game. The kid is crazy athletic (saw her make many a just absolutely LUDICROUSLY FILTHY bids), oozes confidence, has great throws, and is just all over the field making plays. Speaking of all over the place: Shannon McDowell -- is she ever NOT everywhere on the field? I feel like I saw her all over the place in the Oregon games I watched -- if she didn't have the disc, she was moving to get it. She was solid and played a huge part in moving the disc around quickly for Fugue with very few turns. Tina Snodgrass was a big receiver for Oregon, but I loved her play on D. The picture that I've linked to is of a play that I was particularly amped about: she was last back and her girl was making an in-cut. Tina puts the burners on and gets the run-through D right on Oregon's goal line. Big time. Molly Suver had some reeeeal pretty puts, too. I'm gonna cut myself off here, before I start naming every player on every team.
But legit, the list I've players I've talked about in no way is the comprehensive list of players I was impressed by at Nationals. So many great players, so many great plays. Heavens to Betsy, thanks for putting on such a show, ya'll.
Finally, while I didn't get around to watching any Northwestern games this weekend, I'm really happy to see young stunna Lien Hoffman get her due. Great Lakes Great Times, baby!
Welp, another wondrous year of college ultimate is done, and my cleats are hung up for good now. Well, not for good, but you know what I mean. Just like with college basketball, I'm already counting down the days until it all starts up again and the hype starts flying.
I have a lot of thoughts and goals and things of that nature floating around in my head, but I'm going on a family trip this week? It was originally to Hawaii but I guess that whole thing didn't work out, so I guess we'll see. Well, whatever happens, I'm sure I'll be hiding from my family trying to write and reflect, and I can guarantee that thanks to 93.1 Madtown Jamz, I won't be listening to the following songs:
"Airplanes Part 2" B.oB. feat. Hayley Williams and Eminem
"OMG" Usher feat. Will.i.am
"California Gurls" Katy Perry feat. Snoop Dogg
Good thing there is no such thing as "too much" Trey Songz.
(But on an unrelated note, how can they play Trey songs like "Neighbors Know My Name" on the radio?! Does the FCC know about this?)
Oh, and just as an addendum, because I know you weren't expecting it now ...
Most likely the final edition of _______ Cuties ...
As decided by a completely revamped party car ...
Nationals Cuties 2010
(alphabetical order)
Laura Bitterman (Wisconsin)
Chump (Texas)*
Cinco (UCLA)
Martha Harris (Eau Claire)#
Katie Hawn (UCSB)
Lien Hoffman (Northwestern)
Ali Mendoza (Stanford)
Punky (USC)
Courtney Verhaalen (Colorado)
Bailey Zahniser (Oregon)
* 2010 Centex Cutie ... by a LOT
# by special request ... you got admirers, Martha!
Remember to vote for your favorite Cutie! This is the last one, so holler holler holler!
And as always, if you have a photo of your Cutie you wanna send in, holler.
Monday, June 7, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment