Monday, July 21, 2008

"Why aren't there more fights in frisbee?"

The question in this title is for realsies a question one of my residents came up to ask me during the course of the game. I also got "Are they really from Australia?!" and "Do they have cool accents?" a lot. But no, really, it was cool to expose them to a real game, as opposed to the ones where Sam and I "mow them" in amateur hour lawn ultimate. Anyway. I was in the crowd as Bay Area's Slackjaw (heretofore referred to as TEAM AMERICA) took on Team Australia, and it was pretty entertaining for me. However, my notes are way off because residents kept asking me questions and Sam and Scott kept harassing me from the golf cart, so this will probably be pretty short and uninteresting (give me a break, even Michael Jordan "only" scored 19 points in his first game back from his first retirement, geez).

(I'm also getting names I wasn't familiar with before off facebook tags, so excuse/correct me if I'm wrong about something)
The game started off with the teams trading some long bombs for points, with the first point of the game being scored on a sick Judy Jarvis layout grab in the endzone. A sequence I particularly liked was one in which Australia overthrew the intended receiver, Ruth "Leah" Emerson picks up and sends a big flick to Christina Contreras, who rips a backhand into the endzone for a so wide-open she's getting lonely Darragh Clancy to make it 3-1 AMERICA. Unfortunately, turns in/around the Slackjaw endzone let the Australian team back in the door, as they capitalized on mistakes and made it 3-5 Aussies. The next few Australian points were all scored on some pretty sick (internationally speaking, I guess) layouts, and the Australian team took half. In the second half, I saw a lot more zone being thrown by both teams. Disc movement was great, and both teams were very patient in swinging the disc. On one point, AMERICA ran down on D after the pull, set up their cup, and there was a turnover right away, no one even had the slightest as to what happened. Right away the disc is picked up and Ruth Emerson scores with a one-hand grab in the endzone. AMERICA was not the only team to successfully break the cup. On one point, Australia had the disc for a lengthy period of time in their red zone. To their credit, AMERICA was playing some great red zone D, forcing the Australian handlers to patiently work it back and forth among them until they scored. This was also the point, I think, when Sarah "Scoops" Welch's flick was blocked by the tree branches. Hilarity.

All in all, it was a great game to watch; Slackjaw's definitely a stacked team, including some GREAT LAKES ballers! Ah, how I love the Midwest. It was also great to be able to see players I only get to see in pictures, i.e. every player ever on the West Coast. Sarah "Scoops" Welch has definitely got a cannon on her, and Christina Contreras is a beast in the air. I watched her get a sky D that looked like she was just plucking shit out of the sky like she was apple picking at Curtis Orchard or something.

Anyway, that was my sorry attempt at returning to writing. It's been a while, I'm rusty, there's not too much to write about anyway. The people I've e-mailed about my second installment of Fireside Chats haven't gotten back to me yet, so I'm not sure what direction I want to take that series in. Well, I'm definitely going to have to brush up on my writing so as to keep you all entertained. I'll get to it eventually, I swearsies. Meanwhile, I'll be enjoying the rest of my time here at Stanford, dreading the day I have to leave this ridiculousness.

Motown in a few days. Uh oh, I think they hear us coming ... (click clack)

No comments: